Monday, August 8, 2011

An on the road confession

They were no longer kids. Nobody could tell them what they could and couldn't do. Once separated, but now reunited. This is real. Nothing could feel this good, and not be real. Going back and repeating what they did when they were just a couple of 15-year-olds, gave them an opportunity to explore something beyond friendship. They're 24-years-old now. Back for the holidays. Living in the houses just opposite each other.


A little peek to the right and she knew that he was thinking hard. "Please don't say it... Please don't say it...."
Staring out her window, she nervously hummed the first song that came into her head. "Take time to realize, that your warmth is crashing down on me.."
His head turned a little to the left. She looked at him then, 3 seconds later, he looked away. "Oh my! What have I done?" she thought to herself.
"9 years.." he said. She jumped a little and turned her body to face him. They were still on an empty highway, on the way to nowhere in particular, in the middle of the night.
Those were not the words she was expecting him to start with, but she waited patiently for him to go on.
"9 years of friendship, and you choose now to tell me?" Another pause, and he went on "You're in love with me." More a statement than a question.
Before she could say anything.. "And I'm in love with you."
Tree after tree, still very few cars on the road. She couldn't tear her eyes away from him then. She just stared. When he pulled over, her heartbeat accelerated. She realized she wasn't breathing consistently.
He turned his whole body to face her. The scenery around them seemed to have disappeared as she stared directly into his eyes. She closed her eyes for about 5 seconds. It was dark all around, but she wasn't afraid. The girl who was usually so terrified of the dark was not afraid. "I've got abandonment issues. I know I do," she thought, trembling slightly as she brought to mind her past disappointments, past failed relationships. But she felt comfortable, somehow. Secure, even. Right here, right now. With him, and only him did she feel safe.
"I'm gonna kiss you now," and a second later he did. It wasn't without warning, but she was still caught off guard. When she opened her eyes again, the car was moving. Staring at the signboard ahead, she realized what was happening. To her, and only in her eyes, she read the words 'HOME' on the signboard. No longer were they going nowhere, they were headed back, to the place it all started.
"I'm not going anywhere without you now, " he said.
"Just drive," she said.

"This is our thing, sneaking out at night and just driving around." said Todd.
"This is our thing." Wendy gave him a smile, then sat back, closed her eyes and just enjoyed the ride. She was in a world of her own, happy and nobody could take that away from her. No one could take him away from her. Not again.

5 comments:

  1. I see someone's inspired by that book ;)Do you have a beginning/ending for this? Or is it purposely like that? Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's purposely like that. Short and hopefully sweet. Yes, I liked the book very much:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoah! Superrr COOOLLLLL! Write on the story before it and after it! DAMN COOL! :) Good Job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like this story Sam!!! It's very...chick flick. Hahahha, keep it up! I kinda just realised that you like writing a lot. And it's good! SO YEP! Keep going! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Hazel:) I'm just happy you took the time to read what I wrote:D

    ReplyDelete