Sunday, October 16, 2011

What are you running from?

There she goes again. What is she running from? Her footsteps are always faster than everybody else's. It's like she's uncomfortable in her own skin, needing to be away from people. But these aren't just people. These people know who she is. They know a little bit of her past and a little bit of her present. The knowledge of that gets to her.

She can make out who it is that she passes. Only a few of them make recognition in her brain. The cute boy she once had a crush on, the most talkative boy in class, the girl who was once nice to her.... Then when she finally stops for a few seconds, she looks into a place she told herself she wouldn't.
"I think I saw him... Shoot!" She picks up her pace and runs again.

It may not seem like running to some people, she's just walking really fast, but she knows she's running. If you look at her expression closely, you'll see it too.

She could feel some of the eyes she saw earlier boring into her back.
"Who cares what they think?" she keeps telling herself.

It still comes as a shock to her when she's able to shed a tear. Sometimes, tears. She's ran at almost every situation. After telling someone goodbye, after a simple get together with family and friends. It's become her nature.

She's alone now. But it's not quiet. So many voices in her head, telling her what to do, what to feel, not to run... "
"What are you running from?" you ask.
Try asking "Who are you running from?"
She'll most probably look you in the eyes, hoping to look into your soul but not allowing you to look into hers and say, "You."

So, don't ask her stupid questions anymore. If you want to ask a question, ask the right one. She will give you an honest answer. She promises.

I wish I could run into your arms, mummy. They're hurting me. 

4 comments:

  1. So... Who are you running from? :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not you. You know I love you Andrew and I have no reason to run from a friend like you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you know you write just amazing stories? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks anonymous:) I really appreciate that:)

    ReplyDelete